This Rainbow Jar is an easy craft activity for kids to create beautiful rainbow effects using chalk and salt
Anne from Flax & Twine has created this easy tutorial your children can follow to make their own beautiful rainbow jar.
Inexpensive, easy and beautiful, using just chalk and salt.
- Clear Glass Jar with a screwable lid
- Coloured Chalk
- Packet of Salt
- Large sheet of paper
- Place the sheet of paper on the table
2. Pour a small pile of salt in the middle of it – enough to make about a 1/2 – 1cm layer in your jar
3. Take a piece of coloured chalk and rub it back and forth across the salt until the salt turns the colour you want
4. Carefully pick up the sheet of paper by the edges and pour the chalk mixture into the jar
5. Repeat this with the other colours but each time turn the sheet of white paper over so the colours don’t mix.
6. Keep repeating this process for all the different coloured layers you want in your jar (using a clean side of white paper for each colour).
TIP: Pour the chalk salt into your jar at different angles to create pretty designs.
TIP: Gently poke a skewer down the sides to create different patterns (be careful not to mingle the colours together)
7. Keep going until you have filled your jar with different coloured chalk and then carefully screw the lid on
NOTE…. don’t shake your Rainbow Jar as this will mix the colours together
For other fun fairy crafts to make, you might like some of our other posts, such as:
Credit and big thanks to our friend Anne at Flax & Twine for her beautiful photos and idea